How to Migrate WordPress Website Using Duplicator Plugin
Do you want migrate your website from one server to another? Website migration is very crucial task. One has to be very careful during migration process, so that migration would happen very smoothly.
There are many ways to migrate any website. You can do it manually by downloading files and database from File manager through FTP and uploading on new server. Manual process takes too much time and very tedious. Another way is by using WordPress plugins. Its the best way to migrate any WordPress website on new server. Its super easy, you need to just provide few parameters to the plugin, it will do rest of the things. There are too many good WordPress plugins on the web for WordPress migration, most popular plugins are,
Migrate WordPress Website Using Duplicator Plugin
Migration of WordPress website using duplicator plugin is very easy. If you already have used duplicator plugin, you might know it’s very popular free/ premium WordPress plugin to take backup of WordPress websites. But many people don’t know that it is a very good plugin to migrate WordPress Website.
In this article I will show you how to take backup of WordPress website and migrate it on new server using duplicator plugin. We are using free version of the duplicator plugin to migrate WordPress website. Free version have limited features but its enough for us now. You may buy premium version of duplicator for additional feature.
You need to have WordPress login to generate backup and access of cPanel to upload the backup of WordPress website. So lets start.
Follow below simple steps to migrate WordPress website using duplicator plugin.
Create backup of Website
Step 1: Login to your WordPress Website.
Step 2: Install and activate duplicator plugin from plugin directory.
Step 3: Click on duplicator settings.
- Click on Create package
- If you want to exclude some file types and folders from backup click on enable file filter eg. Media files or .zip files.
- Select file types to exclude from backup, selected file extension will automatically gets added in the filter list. you can add any file extension here manually.
- Click on next button and build the backup.
- Download Archive and installer file.
Create New Database and User
Create database and user.
Assign user to database, give all permissions to user on the database.
Upload Files on New Server
Open file manager and upload the .zip package and installer.php at the desired location. In my case, I have created test folder in my my main domain. Do not extract files, leave it as it is. Now your website root folder will contain only two files archive and installer.php.
Install the package.
- Enter the new website address in browser followed by /installer.php.
- Leave all the default values same if it shows green PASS button. Accept terms and conditions. Click on next, refer screenshot below.
- In step 2, you need to add database credentials you created in earlier step. Click on the Test Database button button. If connection made successfully, it will show success message on screen, otherwise it will show test failed message. If connection fails, check you database details and try again.
- In step 3, Screen will show website URL, admin URL, it will also give option to change admin name and password. Change this settings if you want to change. Most of the time you done need to change these settings. Click on next button.
- In 4 and last step, it will show the website migration report and website login link.
Follow this steps and your website will be on live on new server. If you have questions, suggestions, comment it below. I will answer it at my best.